Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Just Replaced OEM '10 Radio with '12 Navigation Unit

128K views 283 replies 67 participants last post by  Brettski15 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 Tundra DoubleCab that my father gave me when he passed. So, I definitely am keeping this truck and I don't really want to do too many mods to it. It has the 5.7L V8 and he already had a Magnaflow catback installed. So that is definitely a plus IMO.

Anyway, the OEM unit that was in this was low level to say the least. I have aftermarket equipment in all of my vehicles but I want to try a factory look this time.

So, I bought a 2012 Toyota OEM Navigation system and it is simply plug and play. Steering wheel controls, Aux input, Navigation... everything works.

BTW, I am thinking of getting 2 Sundown Audio SD210's in a ported box for under the seat and a Sundown amp as well.

In the meantime here are a few pics of the installation. I may add a video in the future. I have to get use to the controls but all in all I really like it.

See less See more
#41 ·
According to the Toyota site this unit is satellite radio ready.

Display Navigation [5] with Entune™ [6] — includes 6.1-in. high-resolution touch-screen with split-screen capability and integrated backup camera [7] display, AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers, SiriusXM Satellite Radio compatibility [1] (additional hardware and subscription required), HD Radio™ [8] with iTunes® Tagging [9], auxiliary audio jack, USB [2] port with iPod® [3] connectivity and control, hands-free phone capability, phone book access, advanced voice recognition and music streaming via Bluetooth® [4] wireless technology

#47 ·
maybe i'm just not getting it to get the turn by turn i have to connect the speed sensor wire from the K3 plug pin 3 to the center pin on the K6 and this is all that i have to do to gein to t turn by turn. because i read another post talking about the reverse wire on AJ2 connector pin 3 splice into what ever. i do have a K6 plug on my hu. please explain tis one more time i am a little mod shy.

#50 ·
Hi I am adding the '12 Entune nav to my 07 SR5. I don't have a factory Mic and when I go to connect the phone it says "Microphone not connected" (No kidding! LOL)

Does anyone with the '12 installed know what connections the Mic wires go to? I I have read the Nav install guide and the connector that they mention is not on this unit. To those that have handsfree, can anyone tell me what connector the radio expects the Mic to be in? and maybe a pin out? I would like to get the factory mic, and wire it in but have no idea what connector. I am thinking it is in the 20 pin?

#52 ·
Just finished this. The speed sensor can be grabbed in the white wire (pin 3 or 4) on K23 behind the radio. The reverse wire can be grabbed behind the radio. There is the main harness with a gray connector on it. There is a very thin purple wire on that harness. That is your reverse wire. You have to open up the tape to get to it.

I also figured out the mic and where it goes so ignore my previous post please.
Thanks

#56 ·
I got K6 connector from contact above.

It was easy to locate speed signal wire but not for reverse signal.
Some said there is gray connector from main harness, deep inside of dash.
I found gray connector but couldn't locate the wire. (according to others, it should be purple but purple wasn't there)
One thing I noticed is, the gray connector is tapped by gray cap/cover.
If you remove this, Tundra won't be turned on. Engine rotates but never get to start.
Voltage meter on cluster is little below than normal range.
Tried to jump start but still no go.
Re-installing the cap solved the issue. I assume the cap got something to do with grounds.

So I decided to get reverse signal from passenger side kick panel.
It was easy to find it but running wire from behind radio to side kick panel wan't easy.
I tried several times to push wire from behind of radio to passenger side.
There isn't much space to put your hand/finger to grab the wire from dash.

After install, turn by turn voice nav came online, as well as dual map, highway exit list,
turn list and etc.
I was impressed that if you're on highway, nearby exit list with POI is automatically comes up.
And of course, if you're off from highway, it goes off.
I haven't tried or seen lane assistance though.

#58 ·
I read this thread and maybe I missed it but does someone have a pic and numbers of the back radio plug. Also I think I have the k6 connector but don't remember it was 1:30 at night when I installed it. Also I know these may be prewired for the rear view mirror but what about behind the radio. I would like to get a factory backup camera set up to come on over the radio. Thanks

#59 ·
You know where this is getting really confusing... is the K6 connector. Does this connector already have the wires attached to it? Or do you have to put your own wires in. Im assuming once you have the connector you just T-TAP into the speed signal and reverse to get the K6(turn by turn nav) to work. Someone chime in and tell me if this is right. Thanks

#68 ·
Don't know if this will help but these are the only numbers on the harness I got with my headunit. s/n c0201224072623 on model it first letter is either a 8 or 9 rest 6190-0c020 let me know if this is a number you can get from the dealer. These numbers where on the USB/aux switch which was different from the one already on my truck.

#75 ·
well just go off the phone with Sparks Toyota and though they were very helpful we did not come up with a cost effective solution. Toyota only has this USB cable listed with the complete wiring harness and that is big $$$. Does anyone know who makes the wiring harnesses for the Tundras? If I can figure that out i might be able to contact them and go from there. I also thought i might contact Gracenote directly but....who knows. I am only one cable away from getting full functionality out of this set up and it feels like i might be flogging a dead horse.

The last resort would be to see if i can just find the new plastic connection and install that on the existing cable or just scrap the plastic part all together. Then i might be able to directly connect to the headunit....i dont know..haha

any ideas?

#78 ·
I had good response from the contact as well, now only if the USPS could get their crap together, I could actually receive the plug. It's been cycling all over the middle and eastern part of the US without actually arriving (according to the tracking number). I hope this isn't signs of how the holiday season is going to go at the USPS.

#80 ·
I think it is usps because, I bought a 2012 nav unit in tx and the guy dropped it off at usps. All I had was a tracking number but nothing was moving and I called the guy he said he dropped it off and I was getting nervous. So he sent his wife to usps and be hole the package was sittingon an empty desk/register so it sat over the weekend and finally got shipped on Monday so hopefully have it by Friday. I just need to locate a mic for the phone if anyone know info on that.thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.