Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can you ORDER a Tundra?

16K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Big Tom 
#1 ·
I was under the impression you can actually order what you want? Made a call to a dealer today to ask when the deadline is for ordering 2017 Tundras..... before the 2018 models start rolling in, and the girl told me that you can't order them. She said they can search the inventory in 5 different states, but not order what I want.

What I want is the 8331 4x4 Tundra, BLACK, 5.7L Double Cab SR5, 6.5 ft. bed, SR5 Upgrade package, TRD Off Road package, and the XSP package (in the southeast region). Nothing more than that. They may be able to locate that truck, but it will probably come with a bunch of other stuff I do not want, which is why I want to order it.

So........ how does "ordering" a truck work?

#3 ·
but you can order this, and win a million dollars

#4 · (Edited)
Yes and No

When I bought my 2014 TRD Offroad 4Runner, i had to "order" one.

You can't really order one to build, but what the dealer can do, is use one of their allocations to get a similar spec'd unit that is incoming. Or, they trade an already incoming allocation they have, for one that is similar to what you are interested in.

Alternately, the dealer can look at available inventory from other dealers, and trade something they have for it.

The dealer I was buying from did this, and when the 4Runner arrived, it had all the specs I wanted, except KDSS. They had to search local dealers to find what I specd out, and trade for it.

So, no you can not really do a custom build.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#5 ·
I ordered my 2017 exactly as I wanted it...

It was last fall though.

#11 · (Edited)
No, my truck was actually ordered the way I wanted it. They tried doing a dealer trade, but only dealer that would let one go was in Ohio and I said Eph that.

They had to jump through hoops with the regional sales manager in order to get an allocation for the truck I wanted.

So they ACTUALLY ordered my truck the way I wanted it. It added 6-7 weeks. Had a build date, and a vin, and knew when it was done. Knew when it left Texas, and got to Il, and then when it got here...

So, I absolutely ordered the truck built the way I wanted it from the factory.

#9 ·
I just ordered one about a month and a half ago. It was built on Tuesday this week and is now in transport. I had a few dealerships tell me the same thing. What they want to is sell you a truck right now by finding one close to what you want instead of taking a chance on you backing out after you order. I was also told that legally that they can not make you take it even if you ordered it. However I found a dealer who was willing to order it just like I wanted. There were a few options you have to take that come with packages if you want anything in the package which is pretty normal with any vehicle I think. However what they actually did is took a truck that had just been ordered and changed the color, added and took away options until it was just like I wanted. All I have to do is wait a couple months which was fine with me. In my case that is the dealership that won my business. Plus they had the best price too!!

#15 ·
And added the options I wanted to it. Installed at the factory.

Which means it was ordered.

Fack it. I give up.

There is a truck outside with my name on the title, and I ordered it how I wanted. It wasn't a dealer trade. It was actually ordered directly from the factory with the options I wanted to add to it. It was built to spec at the factory per the order.

There was an actual order number. I don't have it anymore. It was sent to me to confirm it was actually ordered after I called the dealerships owner on his personal cellphone to make sure that shit was finally getting handled.

I am sure had I wanted a limited with something else added to it, I could have had that too. But I wanted a Plat. I wanted heated and cooled seats. A sunroof. And color matched bumpers most importantly. So I went with the Plat.

#14 ·

Sipping pints of ale out the window sill

#16 ·
My brother is a Harvard grad and he's currently working on a new business model where people can order exactly what they want (within the factory options) directly from a website and have the vehicle delivered directly to the customer, avoiding the dealers all together. There's still a lot to be worked out, but hopefully this is something people would go for.

#17 ·
I ordered mine.

I am also in the Southest region (NC) and went across the line to Tenn to get mine. I told the dealer what I was looking for and knew they would not have it, but he got all the info and said they would see if they could get it ordered. Called me back that afternoon and said they changed a 1794 that they were allocated to the color and specs that I requested but it would be a couple of months before production. It went into production right on schedule and was delivered to the dealership as scheduled. They added a couple of dealer add ones that I requested and I picked it up on a Friday. Told me to come back when I was ready to order another one!

I ordered a 16 Crewmax Ltd with the Ltd premium pkg and TRD pkg along with a spray in bedliner. They also added the black tailgate inserts at the factory.

#23 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong... San Antonio produces trucks in certain trim levels. If you want an SR5 with the SR5 upgrade package, it will be built that way at the factory. The truck will then go to the "port" to have extra crap put on like the TSS package (blacked out badges, step tubes, larger gas tank, wheels/tires), spray-in bedliner (unless it's being done by Line-X or similar company), Etc...

I recently put down a deposit for a 2017 SR5 5.7 DC with the SR5 upgrade package in White. They told me 6-8 weeks. I SERIOUSLY hope they weren't blowing smoke up my back side.

#24 ·
For anyone interested, try building a Tundra on Toyota's site with the three zip codes below. One is in the Gulf States distribution region, one is the Southeast, and one is Toyota direct. You will find that the base vehicle is the same but packages and accessories will vary by region. When you are using the 37660 zip code, pay close attention to the footnotes in the accessories section, especially 41 and 43. Both footnotes discuss "dealer" installed options and "manufacture" installed options.

Gulf States - 75001 (Dallas TX)
Southeast. - 28645 (Lenoir NC)
Cincinnati region - 37660 ( Kingsport TN)

#26 ·
Ya this is some of the same info I recently found out to after doing some research. In the past I have bought some used vehicles from the south where they have not seen the salt yet that we have up in WI during the winter months. So this have given me an opportunity to learn to know some of the folks from southern dealerships as well as our local dealerships. Toyota has a term called "port" installed options that has been used since in the past most of their vehicles came into the port and had extra options installed there. Now I understand it is simply another facility right on the same premises as the factory that takes the truck off the line and adds things like step tubs, exhaust tips, etc.

What I have heard is each region has their own distributor and they can get option that they request that the others do not get. Apparently most of these are also owned by Toyota but the story I heard is the folks who own the port that Toyota uses somehow have an agreement with Toyota that they get do be the distributor of all Toyota vehicles in some of the southern region. They have some extra options that our dealers up here can not even order. For example one of the dealer I have dealt with in the south has many brand new Tundras on their lot with Toyota factory fender flares on them. My dealer up here can not even order the fender flare for me to put on later even though I gave him the Toyota part number. It is very possible that these flares are made by someone else but you can order them from a southern Toyota dealer and they come painted to match and fit with your existing mud flaps without drilling any holes!!

It is crazy I know but just like the example of how you can build different Tundras online in different regions so you will find different options on Tundras stocked in different areas. Up here we can get brushed stainless steel step tubes that in the south they have never heard of. These again are much better in the salt we have. I simple do not understand why our region up here dose not offer flares though.

In fact here is a dealer from Florida that sells factory fender flares on eBay because they know us poor northerners can't buy them from our dealers.

TOYOTA TUNDRA 14-16 SILVER SKY METALLIC PAINT CODE 1D6 FENDER FLARES 4 PIECE SET | eBay

PS: I have a set of these on order right now!

#28 ·
Could be it depends on your location. From Central Texas, all Tundras are shipped through Houston (which is odd since they are assembled in San Antonio). My dealer in Austin took a list of what I wanted on the truck and "tagged" it as it came through Houston. This kept me from getting stuff I didn't want, like factory floor mats, bedliner, sealant, etc. I'm not sure if you consider this process as ordering a truck, but I picked the trim package, engine, color and was able to exclude some of the add ons that the dealer puts on all the trucks on the lot.

#30 ·
About three weeks. Could be that the configuration I wanted is common, so the chance of a truck coming through processing is pretty high. The advantage to me was that I didn't get the add on stuff I didn't want to pay for. Same salesman as I worked with for my Tacoma ten years ago (2007). No hassle deal with discounts that made it work for me.

#32 ·
I went to the dealer to order my Pro.. Lets see how many people start shit about how the Pro is a totally different vehicle made of unicorn jizz.

That being said, I was also looking at a 1794 edition to order. They told me the 1794 could be ordered and would take approx 6-8 weeks from time of order. They also were ok with moving about $3500 on price right out the box on the 1794. So you can wait 6-8 weeks on a new truck or 6 month like I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.