Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

backup sonar

12K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  LINUS 
#1 ·
How you disable the damn thing? which fuse is it? :mad: having a trailer in the back while backing up is effing driving me mad!

#3 ·
^^^what he said

Reactions: NIE_Cal and MM71
#5 ·
Might be, I can turn off the sonar with a button on the dash and they are located on both the front and rear bumpers. I don't have anything that beeps when I back up though, Just when I get close to things.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Reactions: NIE_Cal
#9 ·
What the heck is sonar doing on a truck? I thought sonar was used for fishing boats to check depth/fish locating? Now I am totally confused on what 'sonar' is on the tundra?

If it is sensors on the bumpers front and rear that beep at you if you get too close to objects, that would be totally annoying.

#10 ·
If it is sensors on the bumpers front and rear that beep at you if you get too close to objects, that would be totally annoying.

Thats exactly what it is

#11 ·
They also help judge the distance by slowly beeping when in range and increasing as you get closer, right up to steady beep when your right up against something. Can be annoying at times, but I find it helpful when parking in my garage.

#20 ·
They also help judge the distance by slowly beeping when in range and increasing as you get closer, right up to steady beep when your right up against something. Can be annoying at times, but I find it helpful when parking in my garage.
Or anytime my wife has to park it.....:D

#12 · (Edited)
i love it, as its great on tight drive-thrus with poles, as well as when parking in my driveway, when it just goes off, there is enough room between the garage and the walkway that no one will scratch my tailgate walking by, helps when hookin up with the trailer, when it goes solid tone, i throw the hitch on and i am reasonably close to hook up

Seems when the sensors are really wet, (it rains alot here) either the sensors go deaf or it thinks something is implanted in the bumper :p

Reactions: NIE_Cal
#13 ·
oh the sonar on this big a** truck is an absolute necessity.....I love it.

to the OP, if you have factory sonar, it should be the bottom button of a group of 4(or 5?), stacked vertically on the the dash on the right side of the steering wheel.

I do disable my sonar when I am hooking up and disconnecting my trailer, and while towing. otherwise, as the OP said, it will buzz all the time.

Just be careful with your front bumper clearance when you have it turned off while towing. I catch myself getting really reliant on the sonar instead of my own distance judgement......

#16 ·
lol at sonar on boats. cookiedough mang you made my day. :D

anyway, yes i am talking about the backup sonar that beeps when you get close to stuffs and shit. My truck is an SR5 and my dash doesn't have any buttons to turn the darn thing off. It was tolerable when I only hear the constant beep while I'm almost 6 inches off a wall or something while backing up but with the trailer behind it and I am backing it up it becomes untolerable.

WTF!!! where is this button!!! Am i missing something in my dash? apparently...

#17 · (Edited)
WTF!!! where is this button!!! Am i missing something in my dash? apparently...
It should be at the bottom of the info buttons on the right hand side of the dash just to the right of the steering wheel.

#18 ·
wow, I never knew there was a sonar feature. Glad I don't have that feature in my SR5 DC since would be nice like said ONLY when backing up to a trailer and that is all for me. I cannot stand the beep noise from the seat belt chime but had that disabled before delivery on my tundra thank god. My Hyundai supposedly cannot be disabled and forced me to buckle up since it beeps every 30 seconds or so forever. At least on Toyota's they beep for like 30 seconds and then do NOT keep beeping at me while driving.

The more gadgets we get on our vehicles the less aware we are of our surroundings and most gadgets make us worse drivers, not better. Too bad the auto mfgs. do not see it that way and keep adding gadgets not needed thus increasing the cost of new vehicles. They need to quit adding gizmos and get back to basics by increasing fuel economy and making engines and their components last longer like their water pumps, paint quality, rust protection, and cheap way too thin sheet metal.

#19 ·
while i agree with what you're saying, there are still many dumba$$es that really benefit from the gadgets.

Could you imagine taking back up sensor away from someone who had them for any period of time? I for one would need a new bumper.

#21 ·
Not trying to be judgmental, but what did you do before the gadgets were invented? Also, don't most of you who have the sonar feature also have the backup camera which would come in handy in backing up to a trailer, etc. Wouldn't that be good enough to just have a camera in back vs. a beep noise all around the vehicle? I really don't see the need for a front sonar since I can tell within a foot of when I will hit something in front of me. Man, if I had the front sensor, getting into my crowded garage would drive me nuts since I am always about 4-6" from hitting anything upfront or on the right side of the garage. Only once in 17 years did I graze the side of the garage wall. Yah, I know, instead of a 20x24 garage, I should've went 30x40'. As you get older in life, you accumulate more crap. My fishing boats and ATV's have to sit outside unfortunately along with my tundra in the summer if I want to drive my full dresser cycle easily getting it in and out of the garage instead of having to backup the truck everytime I want to ride it.

#22 ·
Well CD you done it to yourself...the ultimate jinx. I suspect your front or rear bumper will have a close encounter with a stationary object in the very near future. Sorry, but that's the way it goes.
Honestly, my previous truck had this sonar feature when i got bought it and I had your attitude about it. When i went to purchase my current truck the sonar was on the must have list.

#24 ·
Like said above, to each their own. I doubt I will run into anything but you never know who or what will run into me. I swear a blackbird hit the front of my grille the other day going 62 mph but do not see any splat marks or broken plastic grille.

Odd the sonar was on the truck but not the backup camera. Before this posting, never heard of a sonar on any vehicle let alone a tundra, but have heard of a backup camera. Must not be too popular for the dealers around here to stock with sonar since never seen one but never looked at a platinum/limited version, only an SR5 DC tundra.

#23 ·
I only have the sonar...no camera.

In tight garages or parking spots I normally back in. Its easier for me. I do rely on the sensors to tell me when to stop. Much easier than guessing and much better than hangin WAY out because you didn't get close enough. To each there own.

#25 ·
yea mang! I don't have that button. ugh.

#26 ·
My old truck had Sonar, My new one has the back up camera.... You dont see a lot of the new ones with Sonar, trust me I looked as I find it useful with a lifted truck. Seems as if the sonar was used a lot until back up cameras started being installed. The camera is great also, If I could have my way my truck would have both.

Reactions: LINUS
#28 ·
so... does anyone know which fuse to pull to disable this useless (for me :D) feature?

#29 ·
Gotta say new to my RW but seems like a sonar front & my camera rear would be perfect.

With any luck the wires are there for sonar & I plan to buy the 4 button cluster for right of steering wheel, then build out from there f I can find sonar for cheap (sensors, maybe a brainbox needed).

If there's no sonar harness I'll drop this like a hot rock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.