Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

How to correct outside tire wear on used tires?

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  rockstate45 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a second set of wheels and tires to play with, for cheap off cl ($200) They are the TRD wheels and ragged trails. Tires have about 15k miles on them, and appear to be 50% or better life left. There is some slight wear on the outside of all tires, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to work the rest of the tire, to get the insides to start matching up? I suppose a few burnouts would get it right, but do I need to run high pressure or low pressure? I was thinking about running about 30psi, get more rubber on the road so I can even it out, but not sure. I haven't rode on them yet because I'm gonna powder coat them first. These are gonna mostly be for play, not a long term mileage thing, but I'd like the tread to be even. Thx for any ideas.

***pics of tires added here: http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/638836-post21.html ***

#2 ·
Run higher pressure, that should help wear the center section a little faster. Your going to need to run more than 30lbs though. Check what the tires max is and go a little lower, drive it see how it goes....

#10 ·
Didn't I say something like Tox was saying above, earlier.....Just sayin....

Reactions: socal57chevy
#3 ·
So the tread is sloped in wear? Just pay to flip the tires.. and if you're having 'em powdercoated first, then when they remount 'em, have 'em mounted the other way...

Maybe I'm understanding it wrong though... but it sounds like they came off a leveled truck that didn't have camber closer to 0.0....

Got a few pics to share with us?

-rockstate

#5 · (Edited)
bad dad if the outer tread is more worn than the center by all means fill them up with more air. If they're the 275's run 42 to 48 psi in them. Otherwise if its the outside as opposed the inside as mentioned by the other guys just remount them reversed.

I like to consider myself an expert at tread wear after what I went through to get my toyo m/t's. friggen stealership had a deal where if you rotated your tires 9 times at their dealership at $20 a rotation every 5k miles at the 9th rotation you got $800 dollars for new tires. So this sounded great to me. Well I got to 50k miles and my 9th rotation but apparently the fine print states you have to have 2/32nd's tread depth all the way across to get the credit!!! That is as bald as a baby's a$$! So I leave pissed off but its not the service guys fault as he was hooking me up and putting the $800 credit toward aftermarket tires which he really wasn't suppose to do. Anyway's I go home that night find some abandoned parking lots and start power braking!! Holding down the brake and putting the beast in 2nd and gently easing into burnouts. Anyways, I go back the next day after being chased by security guards at 2 locations and doing about 6 1-2 minute burnouts. They're looking pretty good now real bald. They get the digital measurement and the outside treads are still too high. At this point I'm pissed the dealership is 30 miles away from me and i'm there 2nd day in a row. I said f*ck it mind you its broad daylight, I air down my tires to 28 psi to wear the outside tread and go 0.5 mile away to a 1,000,000 sq ft warehouse that had a sign up for leasing it so it was empty however it is in viewing distance from a major highway and there is all office buildings around but I didn't give a $hit at this point. I get out pour some bleach on the old tires in the back and did a legit 4 minute burnout with the truck in second and the traction control turned off. I lit the f*cken sky up with so much smoke it covered the entire 1,000,000 sq ft warehouse loading dock (probably 100 loading docks) you get the picture. I couldn't see $hit, smoke everywhere, coming in the cabin through my vents even though I had the a/c off and inside air pushed. My truck reaked of burnt rubber for a week, thank god for leather lol. But needless to say the one tire was good enough to send in and burnt down to nothing. It was truly a work of art after all the frustration. Crazy ish but I got the toyo's for $600.00! Plus the cost of the bleach and tire rotations, lol.

Reactions: Toxarch
#6 ·
You can't really correct them. Running a higher pressure will help, but once the tires wear uneven, they are kinda screwed. If they wore uneven on your truck, then you could flip the tires. But since they were from another truck, flipping the tires won't do much.

#7 ·
Why wouldn't flipping tires do much good? We know that these trucks with a lift have a tendency to wear outters of tires, and not much inners unless camber is set up negative....in other words, from truck to truck, they almost all (covering my ass here) exhibit the same tread wear issues. Granted, he'd have to have the positive camber.... but flipping it could do absolutely 0 harm in this case.

-rockstate

#8 ·
He has other tires on his truck already that I assume are not wearing unevenly. So his alignment must be pretty good. I never said flipping the tires would be bad. I was just saying that if his alignment is good, then flipping the tires won't help the tire wear. However, if he has the same bad alignment, then flipping the tires will help to make the tires last longer by wearing down the other edge of the tire.

#9 ·
I'm with Toxarch. I would run them on the high side of whatever they are rated at, but not overinflated. If they are rated at a 44psi max pressure, run them at 44. If they are rated at 50psi, run 50. I wouldnt overinflate or underinflate. Like Toxarch said, the wear has already occured. Don't accelerate the wear on other parts of the tire to try to corrrect it.

#13 ·
Some people don't believe the facts the first time you tellem, takes a couple of times to sink in..

#15 ·
Guess I'm not into re-stating the obvious.

No worrys, it just took a handful of posts to make the same point.

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
Pics with burn-out tires? I like it....

#17 ·
Heck, they don't look too bad at all.

Reactions: Bad Dad's Camrys
#19 ·
I'm kinda in a similar boat. I just bought some TRD's $250 with TPMS, lugs, etc, I may powder coat them, but I kinda like the factory finish and their in decent shape, then throw on some narrow, but taller (about 34")Toyo's or Coopers.

It would great to do wheels, Bilstein 2.75/1, alignment, tires for $1700 or less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.