Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

help 07 tundra scraping or grinding noise

58K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  dane 
#1 ·
ok

my tundra makes a scraping/grinding noise only when i turn the wheel to the left. i checked the front end pulled tires off checked drive shaft checked muffler/exhaust to see if it was loose and hitting something checked brakes,rotors, and rotor dust shields and ball joints and i have no idea what is making the noise. sounds like its coming from passenger side front

anyone have an idea or know what it could be ???? wheel bearing ??

#2 ·
u sure its not the wear indicator on the inside brake pad? i just fixed mine from doing the same thing but it was the driver side.

#3 ·
Mine was doing something similar but driver front side. Ended up being a broken wheel stud

#4 ·
what kinda scraping noise?
metal on metal? rubber grinding noise, just rubbing noise, clicking noise>?

u pulled wheels, but didn't say if you verified that its not teh tires rubbing when you turn...

#7 ·
Same thing here. Proably a rock lodge in the wheel someplace. I'm do for tire rotation so I will take it off and take a look at one of these days.

#9 ·
lol....I thought i was the only one with this problem. It's a cover around the rotor that's rubbing. I can't remember if it's hitting the axle or not. American Tire bent it back for me and it hasn't made the noise since. And yes, it's only during left turns......weird. I'll post some pics later, so you can do it yourself and save $70.

#17 ·
Any update on this? Had the rear brake pads changed today and now my Tundra is making the squealing/grinding sound. Seems like it's coming mainly from the rear driver's side wheel. The photo is helpful, but what do I need to do to that cover? Bang it a few times with a hammer? Do I need to remove the wheel to make an adjustment to it? Please advise! :confused:

#15 ·
I believe the contact was directly below bolt number 1. The cover wraps all the way around and comes close to the axle in many places, so you may have to bend it in a different location. It's very flexible and you can do it by hand. You'll see when you get under there.

#13 ·
holy shit, this might be exactly what the issue im having is, i just put an lro level kit on my crewmax last week and noticed this goofy kind of rubbing noise every once in a while when i turn full lock, sometimes it happens full right, sometimes full left.

#21 ·
are you sure yours isn't from your tire catching your skid plate ?

#18 ·
just finished my brake job last night brakes still feel a little spongy, even after bleeding 3 times, guess I will have to let them bed in and see in a week of so... haveing the same noise only when i turn left will check the heat shield after work and update later tonight..

#20 ·
had this same noise after i did the brake job on my old dbl cab,never had a chance to get the wheels back off to see what it was before i traded it in.kinda figured it was a dustshield on the left side and just dealt with the noise.

#22 ·
it is the rear dust cover on both wheels, the inner lip of the rotor rubs the dust sheild... you have to remove the rotor to see where it is rubbing, but after a few days of rubbing it stops...because the rotor has rubbed 100% through the dust shield.

if you remove the rotor you will see that on the part of the dust sheild that wraps around the axle that there are rub marks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.