Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

BHLM Do it yourself

235K views 764 replies 255 participants last post by  Atomic City Tundra 
#1 ·
Ok I know this topic has been beat to death like a dead horse, but I have had a lot of people ask me about it and possibly doing them for them, but wanted to see pictures.

So here is a DIY, and if you still don't think you can do it then send them to me I will do them for $100.00 .

Here's the start....

Flip the light over and take out the 6 torx screws out of the back.

They look like this:

Next preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Next place light on cookie sheet, I recommend that you place three small pieces of wood under the plastic so it doesn't melt (learned from experience).

Let the lights heat for 8 minutes, people say longer but I was able to get them apart no problem with only 8 minutes.

Start on one corner and work your way around they are hard at first to pull apart but then get a lot easier once started.

Once apart separate the clear and amber reflector from the chrome bezel.

Now you will need to scuff the chrome up with a scotch pad so the paint will stick. You can use your choice of paint. This last set I did I used a textured paint that gave a great finish.

Let your bezels dry and then you are ready to reassemble.

Place the lights back together as best as possible and place back in the oven at 250 degrees for 2 minutes to loosen the glue. Once heated pull them out and squeeze them back together and replace the 6 torx screws back in.

You are done enjoy.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good and nice write up but what about resealing the lens with a waterproof sealant of some sort?

#3 ·
No need there is plenty of glue on the two pieces, I have done many off these and not one have I ever had any condensation problems. That is why you reheat them and squeeze them back together.

#5 ·
I planned on doing this today, but football got in the way...Now I gotta wait until next Saturday

Reactions: tnsanders23
#6 ·
Thanks for the thread, your write up was great. Now I just have to get to work on them.

#10 ·
How long does it take and what do you think about doing it white?

Reactions: safety77
#9 ·
Nice writeup. The wood pieces are a good idea. I put water in the cookie sheet to keep it cooler. I learned the hard way too. Only problem with the water is you have to air them out after reassembly. Just takes a little extra time. I added RTV to mine when reheating for reassembly. Doesn't hurt and I know they are sealed the first time.

#11 ·
Honda you asking me or Ninja? He is closer, but it takes me one day turn around and yes they can be done white.

#12 ·
Either one, more so ninja cause i could drive out there and have him do it and then drive home. So i dont have any down time since its my only vehicle and i dont want my parents having a shit fit, even though its my truck!

#13 ·
What year is your truck, I have 2010 I could do on a swap, meaning you send me the money plus a deposit, I will send you the finished ones then when I get yours back I will refund you the deposit. Of course if you want black, if you want white that wont work.

Reactions: NHC45
#14 ·
I like the write up...the only thing i saw missing was taking the part you are gonna paint off the clear housing...two screws there too. I put pot holders on the cookie sheet..works the same as the wood. I'll throw my hat in the ring for the $100 club for those in my neck of the woods. My zip is 10996.

#20 ·
I paint everything I don't like the way it looks with the chrome behind the clear lens.

#17 ·
Clark just send them down to me on a Monday I will get them Tuesday, will do them Wednesday and you will have them back on Friday.

#31 · (Edited)
OMG...How am I the only one posting on this? Hahaha...That is great. Did this at my friends house for his Taco, his wife was not impressed. Too bad we'll be doing my Tundra in that same stove! :D

Sorry Clark...but I'm stealing that for my sig...That is too good not to.

#23 ·
#22 ·
I am really interested in doing this but can't find good definite radiant red color match. How much was all the materials to do the mod and how long does it take to DIY?

#25 ·
I think the black would look better on the red and the white, just my thought. Yes you preheat to 250 and then leave it on with the light in for 8 minutes. Don't put them in while preheating. Yes you can use a flat head screw driver all you have to do is get one side started that the you can get your finger in and spread it open. Make sure to fold the four tabs to the outside too while separating so you don't deform them. I start at the corner with the long post that hangs down from the lights, gives you something to pry against to get them started.

Also like someone said I did forget to mention the two torx screws to separate the chrome bezel from the clear lens.

#26 ·
Ok here is the deal I have had alot of request for how we can work this, 3 options.

1- send me your light (example if shipping to me is $25 send me $125 I will pay the shipping back to you, if shipping is $30 send me $130)

2- (2010 option only)send me $300 plus the shipping amount like above, to my paypal, I will hold $200 as a deposit, I will send you my 2010 lights when you get them put your 2010 lights in the same box and send back. When I recieve them I will paypal you back the $200. You are only out the $100 for service and shipping what ever that comes out to.

3- Buy my 2010 BHLM for $300 plus shipping to you and you have two sets. It cost me on average $80 to $100 each light so maybe we can work out for me to buy your old ones.

Thank you everyone, as you can see from some of my other post I am highly skilled in the automotive field and I am also a police officer so feel free that you will not get screwed. I am not making a killing on this, you have cost of materials and electrical charges, and of course my time. I do this to help out people that are just not confident enough to do it them self.

Would I post a DIY if I just wanted to do everyones lights. If you decide to try it the best to you and hope it all turns out well.

Reactions: Fma
#27 ·
Ok here is the deal I have had alot of request for how we can work this, 3 options.

1- send me your light (example if shipping to me is $25 send me $125 I will pay the shipping back to you, if shipping is $30 send me $130)

2- (2010 option only)send me $300 plus the shipping amount like above, to my paypal, I will hold $200 as a deposit, I will send you my 2010 lights when you get them put your 2010 lights in the same box and send back. When I recieve them I will paypal you back the $200. You are only out the $100 for service and shipping what ever that comes out to.

3- Buy my 2010 BHLM for $300 plus shipping to you and you have two sets. It cost me on average $80 to $100 each light so maybe we can work out for me to buy your old ones.

Thank you everyone, as you can see from some of my other post I am highly skilled in the automotive field and I am also a police officer so feel free that you will not get screwed. I am not making a killing on this, you have cost of materials and electrical charges, and of course my time. I do this to help out people that are just not confident enough to do it them self.

Would I post a DIY if I just wanted to do everyones lights. If you decide to try it the best to you and hope it all turns out well.
No one should ever be afraid of the profit motive...it keeps us innovating and working hard!

<rant>I realize the current state of affairs in the US makes profit on investment of time and material, especially 50+ percent profit, seem like a bad thing, but that's because our school systems don't educate people on how a market system is designed to function and parents don't get it either. A lot of school systems and parents neglect to understand and explain the benefits of the market system.</rant>

#28 ·
I went to the website and looked at the aerosol OEM paints and the only size is a 12oz bottle. How much will a 12oz bottle Cover when doing the HLM? How many coats per light?

#29 ·
I would prime them with a gray primer and then paint the red, I would also get one can per headlight to be safe start off with a light coat concentrating on the low spots (ie the corners) once that dries do another light coat, let that dry then do the final coat. Make sure you dont get any runs, that will look like crap and you will be waiting a long time for it to dry before you can sand out those mistakes.

#30 ·
Thanks for the advice. That was exactly what I was looking for. One last question before I jump into this... Would it look better if I put a clear coat it or is it best to just leave it the red?

#33 ·
Ok. Sorry for all the changes but I am now going to do the Black instead of the Red on my Red Tundra. I am going to use krylon fusion flat black paint. I will be doing this mod in the next couple of days and posting some pics along the way.

#34 ·
Yesterday I decided to take on the so called crazy BHLM. I was a little skeptical about putting my new trucks headlights in the oven but the reward would worth it. It took me about 3hrs to complete this mod. I was torn between the OEM Radiant Red or the Flat Black but I chose the Black as you can tell. I spent about $15 dollars on this BHLM but it was for sure the most bang for your $$$.

The before

The AFTER

The before

The AFTER

#36 ·
Looks good with the black. I think it goes well next to the black grill like that. Will be doing mine soon too. My truck is black though so color choice for mine is a no brainer.

#35 ·
^^^nice. I gotta do this soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.