Multiple engine misfires!!! Need help. - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Multiple engine misfires!!! Need help.

Hey guys. Looking for some help. I have taken my 2000 Tundra 4.7 v8 to the shop twice for a bad misfire with check eng light. First they replaced plugs and one coil. It ran fine for about 10 miles, then misfiring again with check engine light flashing. Then they replaced another coil and it ran fine again for about 10 miles...guess what...Another misfire and check engine light. Are my coils going bad one after the next or is there another problem they can't find??? Crank sensor??? I know a little about mechanics but paying lots of $ and not getting it fixed is frustrating.

T.

Last edited by MTip; 12-05-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:46 PM

(Thread Starter)
I just replaced a bad coil myself and it runs much better. Still a little rough like other coils may be weak. Do I just need to bite the bullet and replace em all?

T.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 1,180 Times in 709 Posts
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Was it a Toyota shop?

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

"That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab".

Some Canadien dood.

WHITE TUNDRA CLUB MEMBER #5
#4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:09 AM

(Thread Starter)
No, the local service station. The coils they replaced were bad so at this point I don't blame them. I swapped the recent bad coil with another one and pulled the plug on it with no rpm drop so it is bad. I just wonder how long till the next one goes out. It's weird how they have gone out one after the next within about 10 miles.

T.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:28 AM

I would definitely check the spark plugs and replace them (some toyotas require dual ground electrode spark plugs, I don't remember if 00' tundra requires). I would also check to see if you may have had a bad batch of gas. When I used to work for Honda as a mechanic some honda's would put out a multiple cylinder misfire. I noticed most people that used ARCO would come in with a misfire code. I wouldn't replace all the coils .. You may want to get a voltmeter and get the specs for checking the coils. You may be replacing some good coils and wasting money. If you don't know how to work on it I would definitely have a dependable/reputable mechanic who is familiar with toyotas.

On a V8 you may not see much of a change doing a cylinder drop test.

I would start with the cheapest stuff first....check Gas...Have you replaced you fuel filter? These codes can pop up due to many different things... Bad injectors,coils,fuel,fuel pressure, etc.. I think its unlikely to be several coils.

keep us updated. I will call my buddy who still works for toyota.

2010 Tundra 5.7 CM Rockwarrior 4X4
Icon Coilover w/ resi's
Icon 2.5 Rear Piggy Backs
Icon Billet UCA's

Last edited by ichrisi88; 12-06-2010 at 04:00 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 09:05 PM

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,083 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The 4.7 uses Iridium spark plugs. I don't know about this one but some engines are extremely finicky about plugs.

I had a similar thing, truck went into 'limp mode' for a while before coming back to normal. Transmission sensor.....

Any mechanic with the proper scanner can bring up information on the function of each spark plug as the engine runs. The good old days of pulling a plug wire are as far gone as adjusting points. Most of the computer-run stuff on today's vehicles require a computer to diagnose what really is wrong so you don't end up replacing a bunch of working parts while playing hit or miss.

Why do I say this? I spent ten years keeping a safari operation on the roads, such as they were, and....almost none of what I know from then applies now.

I use and talk about, but don't sell Amsoil.

2006 Tundra replaced a
98 Dakota 3.9 automatic, long bed.
Retired with broken A/C, July 2008.
623,000 miles.
On original engine and transmission.

+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Truth does not need to be 'balanced' and it ain't caused by voting or consensus or polls or yelling louder or silencing someone.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I accidently filled up my 2008 sc tundra with 87 octane a few days ago and i hit 90mph on the freeway and then it completely lost all its power to the wheels and wouldnt go any faster. so i let out of the gas and it start shaking a bit. and then a bunch of dash lights came on. i was about 3 miles from the toyota dealer i bought it from 5 days before hand so i limped it to them. that was 4 days ago... they have drained the fuel and put premium in it with a octane boost to help clean it out. they also replaced a few spark plugs. they said it runs "better" but still blows a little smoke (didnt ask what color but will find out tomorrow) and it has a bad misfire in cylinder 5... They now think i burnt the head of the injector in cylinder five... but i thought the injectors in these trucks are not actually in the cylinder so im a bit confused now. they also replaced the coilpack and that didnt fix it. so far my bill is at $850 and they havent fixed it. Any ideas? besides dont fill it with anything less then 91octane? lol
The Following User Says Thank You to cvbIV For This Useful Post:
shatto (09-30-2013)
#8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,438 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbIV View Post
I accidently filled up my 2008 sc tundra with 87 octane a few days ago and i hit 90mph on the freeway and then it completely lost all its power to the wheels and wouldnt go any faster. so i let out of the gas and it start shaking a bit. and then a bunch of dash lights came on. i was about 3 miles from the toyota dealer i bought it from 5 days before hand so i limped it to them. that was 4 days ago... they have drained the fuel and put premium in it with a octane boost to help clean it out. they also replaced a few spark plugs. they said it runs "better" but still blows a little smoke (didnt ask what color but will find out tomorrow) and it has a bad misfire in cylinder 5... They now think i burnt the head of the injector in cylinder five... but i thought the injectors in these trucks are not actually in the cylinder so im a bit confused now. they also replaced the coilpack and that didnt fix it. so far my bill is at $850 and they havent fixed it. Any ideas? besides dont fill it with anything less then 91octane? lol
87 shouldn't be the cause of that....

Edit: missed the SC part... I dunno in that case!

Black 2012 DC SR5 5.7 - Black Tundra Club Member #137
Westin Platinum Black Oval Nerf Bars, AVS In-Channel Rain Guards, Switched Backup Cam, DRL Delete,
Anytime Fogs Mod, LED Bed lighting, LED Underbody lighting, All interior/exterior LEDs, LEDGLow tailgate bar,
Black plastidip badges/grill/bumpers/wheels/overhead console, 5000K HID lows, 6000K HID fogs
Tailgate remote lock/unlock/open, PDBHLM
The Following User Says Thank You to danoh For This Useful Post:
shatto (09-30-2013)
#9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Danoh,

What do you think could have caused this? my truck only hasd 52,000 on the truck and only 5,000 mi on the supercharger. they are saying they wont warrenty anything since i put the wrong fuel in it...
shatto (09-30-2013)
#10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I dunno. Did you run it up to 90 mph before or after you knew you put 87 in it?

Westin Platinum Black Oval Nerf Bars, AVS In-Channel Rain Guards, Switched Backup Cam, DRL Delete,
Anytime Fogs Mod, LED Bed lighting, LED Underbody lighting, All interior/exterior LEDs, LEDGLow tailgate bar,
Black plastidip badges/grill/bumpers/wheels/overhead console, 5000K HID lows, 6000K HID fogs
The Following User Says Thank You to danoh For This Useful Post:
shatto (09-30-2013)
#11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

Garage
2o min after i put 24 gallons of 87 octane in it i went 90mph and i acted like it couldnt go any faster.. so as it tried to shift to 6th, something gave way. I didnt realize i put the 87 oct until toyota called me telling me so, and then i remember. They are correct.
shatto (09-30-2013)
#12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 09:35 PM

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,083 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
90 MPH.
Where in Oregon is the speed limit 90?

Your engine has a speed limiter. Either maximum MPH or RPM or both.
Or your fuel consumption exceeded the fuel pump capacity.
Or a other things other people can talk about.

I sure hate to see a fine machine abused.
I love that we live in America where we can do what we want.

I use and talk about, but don't sell Amsoil.

2006 Tundra replaced a
98 Dakota 3.9 automatic, long bed.
Retired with broken A/C, July 2008.
623,000 miles.
On original engine and transmission.

+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Truth does not need to be 'balanced' and it ain't caused by voting or consensus or polls or yelling louder or silencing someone.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.
#13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Speed limit ? It's supercharged of course I enjoy using the power. It is not governed ether, I have it tuned by a bullydog programmer. I've hit 120 a couple times. Racing my buddy that has a cummins. I'm trying to figure out what happened to my truck. Internally
#14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbIV View Post
Speed limit ? It's supercharged of course I enjoy using the power. It is not governed ether, I have it tuned by a bullydog programmer. I've hit 120 a couple times. Racing my buddy that has a cummins. I'm trying to figure out what happened to my truck. Internally

#15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

Garage
ha!

So i went into toyota today and they cant figure out what is wrong with my truck... so now, they are going to warranty me a brand new engine and supercharger. tuh dah! all labor cost paid for. so my bill is now at 250bucks for draining my fuel and putting premium in the truck for me. doesnt get much better then this. now i have a 08 supercharged 5.7 tundra with 0 miles! for $250. I am pretty dang lucky if you ask me. oh and they gave me a loner 2013 tundra at no cost until my truck is finished. I think toyota is the way to go.

Last edited by cvbIV; 10-01-2013 at 01:32 PM.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion > 4.7 discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.