4.6l Mpg. - Page 12 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not been luck as far as gas goes...

I've consistently averaged around 15mpg thus far through about 3,500 miles on my new 2013 4.6 DC 2WD. The best I ever did was 17.8mpg all highway. I calculate my fuel economy by using miles since last fill up as measured by my trip odometer and the total number of gallons required since last fill up. I do not top the tank off- first time the pump shuts off, I'm done refilling. I have not been impressed with my truck's fuel economy so far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Check your tire pressure. You should be able to add a few psi without hurting tire life. Next, don't use cruise. I find I can keep it from downshifting most of the time. I have not tried cruise on flat roads; might be ok there. Finally, I think best mpg is around 50-55mph (edit: I originally said 60, but this morning I realized it would do 50-55 on the flats just fine in sixth). Preferably fast enough to sty in top gear without downshifting (I think it burns extra fuel every time it downshifts, momentarily, above and beyond what it would be if it was forced to downshift ahead of time).

Past that, the usual applies. Minimize idling, cold starts, etc. I like to coast to stops too. Will say it sucks gas on any hill. Lot of weight, regardless of motor. But you're in Texas, not sure that is an issue... This morning I played with it a bit, and I found that, yes, downshift it a gear on the hill doesn't cost that much, an mpg or two while climbing, and it is more responsive. But the lowest gear possible does still yield the best mpg.

When I first got mine I got similar mpg. It then went up. I had been forcing it to downshift on decel. I finally wound it out a few times, and just used drive. And put 36 psi in the tires. Oh, and a tonno cover. Big results. I think it may have wanted the Italian tuneup, and occasional rpm pull won't cost that much. Unfortunately I kinda did all those things at once so I don't know which had what impact. My turbo-diesel runs so much better after being wound out, but these gassers are different--or are they? Burn any deposits off, blow out the carbon... I dunno.

What kind of driving do you do? Do you have the tow package? Flat ground, no tow should get the best mpg. Also, you have a 2013; does it have the mpg readout? I have a Scangauge in mine, and have it set to watch both instantaneous and avg (for the tank) mpg. It shows you real quick what hurts the most. I'd add one or the other, it's an eye opener.

2010 Double Cab, 4.6L, 4x4, tow, Brillant White, 96kmiles
2011 Camry, 2.5L 6spd manual, 95k

Last edited by supton; 08-15-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: need more caffeine before posting
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supton For This Useful Post:
Hippo (08-29-2013), lawb2uh (08-20-2013)
post #168 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 09:33 AM

Ok... Less than 1k miles and on 3rd fill up 17.8mpg 80% highway

MGMC #150
post #169 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
Check your tire pressure. You should be able to add a few psi without hurting tire life. Next, don't use cruise. I find I can keep it from downshifting most of the time. I have not tried cruise on flat roads; might be ok there. Finally, I think best mpg is around 50-55mph (edit: I originally said 60, but this morning I realized it would do 50-55 on the flats just fine in sixth). Preferably fast enough to sty in top gear without downshifting (I think it burns extra fuel every time it downshifts, momentarily, above and beyond what it would be if it was forced to downshift ahead of time).

Past that, the usual applies. Minimize idling, cold starts, etc. I like to coast to stops too. Will say it sucks gas on any hill. Lot of weight, regardless of motor. But you're in Texas, not sure that is an issue... This morning I played with it a bit, and I found that, yes, downshift it a gear on the hill doesn't cost that much, an mpg or two while climbing, and it is more responsive. But the lowest gear possible does still yield the best mpg.

When I first got mine I got similar mpg. It then went up. I had been forcing it to downshift on decel. I finally wound it out a few times, and just used drive. And put 36 psi in the tires. Oh, and a tonno cover. Big results. I think it may have wanted the Italian tuneup, and occasional rpm pull won't cost that much. Unfortunately I kinda did all those things at once so I don't know which had what impact. My turbo-diesel runs so much better after being wound out, but these gassers are different--or are they? Burn any deposits off, blow out the carbon... I dunno.

What kind of driving do you do? Do you have the tow package? Flat ground, no tow should get the best mpg. Also, you have a 2013; does it have the mpg readout? I have a Scangauge in mine, and have it set to watch both instantaneous and avg (for the tank) mpg. It shows you real quick what hurts the most. I'd add one or the other, it's an eye opener.
Great stuff. I had the nitrogen topped off and tried premium fuel- no cigar, 14.9 mpgs all highway. I might have a problem, since I've also tried to keep engine RPMs consistently under 2000.
post #170 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 03:20 PM

Garage
It does sound like you have an issue. Just for fun, though, on this tank i would give it full throttle a couple of times. Also let it rev up a bit more while getting up to speed--say, let it go as high as 3k on upshifts. Will it make a difference? Not sure. But I swear, once I stopped babying mine it responded. Definately keep the cruise speed low, but I don't sweat it (too) much getting up to speed--two things occur with moderate acceleration: engine warms up faster (cold engines burn more gas) and you spend less time accelerating. Full throttle is good for blowing out the carbon, and good once in a while, but I think horrifically slow acceleration might actually burn more gas than moderate.

post #171 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawb2uh View Post
I've consistently averaged around 15mpg thus far through about 3,500 miles on my new 2013 4.6 DC 2WD. The best I ever did was 17.8mpg all highway. I calculate my fuel economy by using miles since last fill up as measured by my trip odometer and the total number of gallons required since last fill up. I do not top the tank off- first time the pump shuts off, I'm done refilling. I have not been impressed with my truck's fuel economy so far.

It'll get better, My last fill up was a mix of hwy/city and a small amount of towing and I got 18.5...I'm at about 15,000 now.

2012 Tundra CrewMax 4.6 V8 w/tow-package. A.R.E. Z Series

TWAC # 74
WTC # 74

post #172 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've had mine a year and have 25k on it and my mpg is almost exactly 17 from tank 1. I keep a spreadsheet, ocd like that. I would say 60/40 hwy/city and most of that hwy during rush hour. I also have the tow package.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

MGMC #158
2012 Double Cab, Tow Package, Window Tint, Line-X Bedliner, 4" Nerf Bars, 18" Ballistic Wizards, Max Floormats.
post #173 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
70city and 30hwy and driving like a grandma I'll average 15.5 on 33" general grabbers

Icon CO / light racing uca / Icon rear shocks / CB 3" shackles / 33"x12.5" general grabbers / rock warriors / halos w/BHLM / RBP mesh grill / BA budget system dumped / remote start / TRD CAI / TRD sway bar / plasti-dip front & rear bumper / DRL / extang tri-fold cover

MAGNETIC GRAY CLUB MEMBER #10
post #174 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 04:12 PM

17 combined so far

Not broken in yet but 17 looks to be it for me. I haven't taken an "all highway" trip yet - hoping for 20 or so. I have the towing package as well.
post #175 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Garage
I have a 4.6 an my long term average is 14.1 mpg.. 15 min commute to work 3 days a week.. It's not a flat ride, average speed limit hits 45 on my way in to work.. Had the truck almost a year 7k on the truck..

2013 DC 4.6 TRD Pyrite Mica, 7" BDS Kit with Fox shocks and CO's, 20x9 Fuel Mavericks, 35x12.50x20 Trail Grapplers,Nfabs, Lo Pro QT,
Line-x premium,(LTC) Member #20
Rigid R1 grill
20" rigid light
Hypertech.
post #176 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Garage
Nwtunrda has the same exact story as I do.. Tonneau as well, lo pro qt so it's not a ton of weight added

2013 DC 4.6 TRD Pyrite Mica, 7" BDS Kit with Fox shocks and CO's, 20x9 Fuel Mavericks, 35x12.50x20 Trail Grapplers,Nfabs, Lo Pro QT,
Line-x premium,(LTC) Member #20
Rigid R1 grill
20" rigid light
Hypertech.
post #177 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando13 View Post
Nwtunrda has the same exact story as I do.. Tonneau as well, lo pro qt so it's not a ton of weight added
Yup, 14 mpg was all I got city driving with the 4.6L. Funny thing is my newer 5.7 is getting the same mpg in the city.

2013 Tundra, 5.7L V8, 4x4, DC, OME 612, 1.5" blocks,
Firestone Air Bags, Line-X, 275/70/18 DuraTracs, Vision #375 wheels,
TonnoPro Hard Fold, Iron Cross HD Steps
post #178 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 07:44 AM

Garage
I'm not too surprised at the same mpg's. If you use similar acceleration rate, then you're having to get the same amount of weight up to speed at every light. The 5.7 just has to work a bit less hard doing it, but its going to use the same amount of gas to make the same amount of hp.

Same thing more or less goes for highway mpg. Punching a hole through the air the size of a barn door, and pulling 5,500lb up every hill. The 5.7 probably does a hair better here, since it won't need to downshift quite as often--more low end torque, to better hold sixth.

post #179 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 07:57 PM
jjm
Premium Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm getting an average of 15 to 16 mpg in my 2013 4.6l tundra dc 4x2 running around metro atlanta. No where near the mileage I thought I would get. I'm kinda wishing I would have gone with the 5.7l given the mileage difference seems so trivial.

Heaviest thing I haul is 3 mx bikes and gear so I figured the 4.6 would be fine.
post #180 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm View Post
I'm getting an average of 15 to 16 mpg in my 2013 4.6l tundra dc 4x2 running around metro atlanta. No where near the mileage I thought I would get. I'm kinda wishing I would have gone with the 5.7l given the mileage difference seems so trivial.

Heaviest thing I haul is 3 mx bikes and gear so I figured the 4.6 would be fine.
X2

MGMC #150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion > 4.6 Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.