Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

How to install trailer brake controller on 2014 tundra

27K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Korben 
#1 ·
My new tundra already has pre-wired, how to hook up the brake controller?

#6 ·
To clarify though, so you don't spend days looking for it. The controller harness is behind the kick panel on the driver side so you will have to remove the kick panel in order to view/access it. Also, it will have a plug in it so you may not think that's the one you need but just remove the plug and insert the harness from the glove box.

#7 ·
The details to install brake controller are in the owners manual. I think the pigtail is in the lower left kick panel by the parking brake.

I have also seen pictures on the net (don't know where); of brake controllers already installed in the 2014 Tundra. Apparently some companies make a controller that simply replaces a panel on the dash so that it is integrated in the dash?

If I recall correctly the larger panel on the right of the steering wheel that holds three buttons: Park Assist, VSC, and Tow/Haul is "replaced" to make in two levels so the now controller is installed in the dash. This is much like the two tiered panel on the left of the steering wheel holding two rows of controls.

It may have been what I saw was a "pre-production" installation that dealers should be offering in the future?

#9 ·
Also, you may not want to mount it under the dash (usually the right side above your right knee) since you may find yourself constantly kicking it with your leg and it is also very difficult to adjust in that position. Here is where I mounted mine as have several others:

#12 ·
I am 6' 4" and mine is in front of my riggt knee.... I have never hit it. Lotd of options on where to mount, if I was not so lazy I would have mine mounted like the one in the little cubby hole.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
bench seat option

That looks like a good location for those of you who have the center console (5 seat) arrangement, but i purchased the bench seat so that I can have the option to haul 6 people. There seems to not be a good location for the brake controller. My 2011 had enough room by the dash at teh gas pedal location but the 2014 has a speaker, push button for sway and the knee airbag. Any suggestions?

#14 ·
That looks like a good location for those of you who have the center console (5 seat) arrangement, but i purchased the bench seat so that I can have the option to haul 6 people. There seems to not be a good location for the brake controller. My 2011 had enough room by the dash at teh gas pedal location but the 2014 has a speaker, push button for sway and the knee airbag. Any suggestions?
Did you ever figure out where to put it? I have the exact same front bench seat, and don't see a good place to put the brake controller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.