Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Pulling a 24ft Enclosed Trailer/car

25K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  tundraa 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to buy a tundra (5.7L 4x4 CM or DC), 1-2 times a month I'll need to pull a 24ft trailer with 3800-4000lbs of car/tools. I Havent started to research trailers just yet, looking for recommendations on what trailers/hitch setups you guys are using with Tundras, and if a Tundra would be enough to haul this.

Since I havent purchased either a truck, or trailer yet, I'm looking for suggestions on both. I've considered diesel, but I plan on using the truck for more than hauling a car.

Thanks

#2 ·
The length of the trailer is almost irrelevant for towing capacity. The total weight of the trailer with tools and trailer combined sounds like a 6000 pound load (or so). The Tundra will handle that just fine. A hitch setup will come into play with the length. I would use a weight distributing hitch and probably a sway control bar. That will eliminate any loading issues since a car hauler is usually a little tongue heavy. As for trailers..... I'm a big fan of Pace but they cost a fair amount more. Haulmark makes a decent trailer but will require more maintenance to keep it looking good.

#3 ·
I just know that what I am looking for is a 24ft enclosed trailer, as far as what brand, thats still up in the air. Trying to see what all you guys are pulling with these trucks before I make any decisions. Definitely planning on a WDH.

#4 ·
I have a 2008 SR5 double cab and i pull a 24' enclosed cargomate car trailer. The trailer is rated to tow 10,000 lbs. I used it to tow my old Dodge Ram 60 miles to the guy who bought it. the Toyota pulled it like a dream it was not squating as i thought it would nor did it sway it pulled straight and braking and acceleration was great as if it wasnt behind me. That made me feel great about my decision to get the Tundra. If there is anything else I could help or answer feel free to private message me.

#7 · (Edited)
I tow a 24 ft. X 8.5 ft. Haulmark race trailer with our 5.7 ltr '08 Tundra Crew Max. Tows like a dream. I do have an equalizer hitch. I am not sure of the total weight . I carry tools, have a tire rack, spares as well as a generator, water tank, quasi living quarters/shower. I bought it from a guy who was towing with a full size Nova Dragster inside. My car is much lighter. No issues at all.

I use a Prodigy brake conroller.

#8 ·
Sweet looking trailer. That would be so nice for hauling ATVs and snowmobiles. Glad to hear the Tundra is working out.

I made the 6 hour trip to northern Maine yesterday and the Tundra matched the gas milage that I used to get with my F-250 manual transmission 7.3 diesel. 10mpg hauling a 24' toy hauler. When figuring the extra $1.00 for diesel fuel, I saved $37 with the Tundra. The steering is much tighter on the Toyota so I found the trip much more pleasant. Starting it in -33F temps was not a problem this morning. I used to plug the diesel in but now I don't even think about it. Great truck but a larger gas tank would be perfect. We had to make one extra stop that we would not normally make.

#10 ·
I have a 08 dc 5.7 and this weekend I pulled my dads 27' enclosed snowmoblie trailer fully loaded its probley around 8000 lbs. I have had just about every truck out there and this is by far the best pulling gas truck yet. You could feel the wieght of the trailer but it was contorled. I was very surpised. Got about 8 mpg.

#11 ·
This is what I pull. We went form Pa to FL. also to Niagara Falls, Canada. I cruise at 75-80 with all the confidence in the world. I do have the reese sway bars and friction control, shes a TALL trailer. GVWR 11850. And, yes, we usually carry fluids. We use @ home and need to empty when we get to campground.

#12 ·
Good info about sway bars and equalizers, but are you guys also using a brake controller for activating trailer brakes? My truck came with a towing package, but I see no brake controller. Is this something I should install for towing? Likely will only tow 4,000 lbs.

#17 ·
TTH,

Almost all states require brakes on trailers with a Gross rating of 3000# or more. Some states even have lower requirements. The larger manufacturers all provide brakes on their trailers rated with a GVWR > 3k. At least boats and RV's any way. Some are equipped with surge brakes, which can be a hassle when you are backing up.

I have a Prodigy brake controller, Equalizer, (brand name), hitch which is also a combined anti sway set up and pull a 6500# RV just fine.

The Tundra with the tow package and six speed automatic is a great set up for towing. It has a "tow haul mode" which will hold the shift until it reaches the best torque range. The "S" shift range let's you hold any gear, 1 - 4, for as long as you like and provides engine breaking for down hill. The tow package also includes a 155 amp alternator and group 27 battery. I am happy with mine!

#14 ·
You should be using a brake controller. Most on this forum are using Tekonsha Prodigy P3. The Valley Odyssey and Odyssey II are also good controllers.
Both Tekonsha and Valley have harnesses that plug in to the harness in the Tundra.

#15 ·
Toyota actually worked with Tekonsha when they had created the electrics for the braking system. They used the Prodigy for the design and compatability. This is what I was told at the Tundra traingin as the Truck Champion at my store. We were at the Indiana plant for thorough trainngn

#16 ·
I tow a 24' sled trailer up to old forge NY and my DC tows it pretty well. Loaded down with sleds and everything. This trailer doesn't have load levelers which kinda sucks so i get some sagging in the rear. But if you do get a trailer make sure you do get load levelers to help your rear suspension out... Oh and i use a Tekonsha envoy brake controller. Works awesome for me!

#21 ·
Whats up? I own a 2007 5.7 with tow pack. I tow a 32DSBH, 8100 dry. Towed the TT from MI to WA the state with a 500lb toolbox in the bed. The Tundra was amazing!!!! Since I am from MI, Iv heard all the reasons I needed to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton to pull anything over 7,000lbs. Things like, " Your gonna ned a 3/4 0r 1 tun to pull that thang". Really? So, we researched and wondered why Toyota built a 3/4 ton drivetrain and labeled it a 1/2 ton. Now we know! So that the domestic owners would wonder how it can do that......pull a 35' TT.Plus, its the best in its class! Anyway, the Tundra exceeded our expectations! Just before going up the mountain, I slapped the shift lever over and the computer would always pick 4th "S" gear. I could pick up speed when needed up the mountain! Going down the mountain when picking up speed, I would shift to 3rd "S" for engine braking...nice! I was impressed by the power and control I had going thru the mountain passes......sweet! So far have pulled the TT 6700 miles. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Attachments

#18 ·
We just returned from another trip north towing the enclosed sled trailer. This truck is very pleasant to drive and we slowed to 65mph just to see what the milage would do. I got 11mpg (got 10 in January) which allowed me to skip one gas stop. I did the 240 mile run from Houlton to Portland before fueling. The light came on at 220 miles but we all know that there is about 5 gallons remaining when this happens.

#19 ·
I have the same application. I need to haul a 16-24 foot enclosed trailer with a 2500lb race car and tools/spares. Mostly up and down I5, rarely over mountain passes. As I hate trucks- my goal is to spend the least possible to do this. I definitely plan to buy used.

Knowing little about these things could the community educate me here by answering a few specific questions....

- What is the difference between years with the Tundra?
- Are their any specific years, models, or packages that are far more preferable than others for my application?
- Are their any years/models I need to shy away from?
- How do these fair for maintenance over the long haul? How many miles is too many? Any TSB's or other issues I should be aware of when looking at these things?

Thanks in advance.

#20 ·
I tow a 25ft car carrier that we converted into a tool trailer and office space. we have about 12,000lbs including weight of trailer... I do have an equalizer hitch with a 2 5/16" ball and brake controller... I have sway bars and I have pushed the truck to 80mph on the interstate and it rolls as if the trailer isnt there and stopping this bad boy is no hard work because the trailer has electronic braking on it as well.. the truck is 08 DC 5.7

#22 ·
I hear a lot about the 3/4 ton components in the Tundra which is good stuff. Why doesn't the payload numbers reflect this? I'm not sure what components determine payload. The 4x4 DC payload ranges between 1380 and 1425 roughly. This is about the same as the Ford and Chevy payloads. I guess it's fair to say the drive train components don't contribute to payload numbers.

For those that tow the heavy 8000+ loads how are you on payload? For that kind of load you generally have to have 10~15% tongue weight. Then you have to add the weight of the passengers. If you have 3 passengers at lets say 150lbs each that's 450lbs leaving only ~900 for tongue weight. I would think you would have to be right at the GAWR of the rear axle.

We need a thread that lists what people are towing and measured GVW, GCW and GAW for front and rear. Talk about useful information...

Funny story I tried get my weight today but I could not reach the intercom. The scale was obviously only meant for 18-wheelers. I felt like Alice in wonderland. I would have had to stand on the roof of the truck to reach the intercom. I felt stupid and left. :banghead: Where the heck do you go to get weighed? Is there such a thing as a family friendly CAT scale?

#24 ·
:banghead: So, a few of us brainstormed. We compared the specs of the F150, Chevy and Tundra halftons. Here is our conclusion. Overall the Tundra is the best choice for pulling 8000+ lbs, without question. The drivetrain is just better all around. Not to mention, brakes. The engineers always go low on the actual towing capacities.....except for Ford. They claim a V6 ecoboost can pull 11,000+.......what a joke! Keep crunching numbers......We are going camping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

#23 ·
When I weighed my truck at a CAT scale I went inside first and told them what I wanted. Then I got on the scale and found out I could not reach it. The girl inside was watching and she asked if I was ready and then I was weighed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.