Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

US Parts content percentage - Tundra vs. the rest

3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Goliathdog 
#1 ·
This may have been posted already, although I couldn't find it. Thought this was interesting. Tundra has as much US content as any other "US Made" truck (F150 with 75%) and beats the snot out of Dodge (66%) and GM (40%). 40% really? The US government bailed them out why?

Anyway, this was a deciding factor in my purchase, that and it's better looking, has better resale value, and is built in Texas by NON-Union Americans.

Part 583 American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) Reports | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

#6 ·
All the money paid to the workers putting these trucks together or producing the parts for these trucks in the States goes back to Japan? Explain exactly how that is.

#11 ·
This is an interesting article I read a while back.
Foreign Cars Made in America: Where Does the Money Go? | Edmunds.com

I am willing to bet that Toyota as a corporation pays a much larger percentage in federal and state taxes than Ford or GM. Ford and GM get so many tax credits and incentives that they pay virtually nothing in taxes. Toyota doesn't get many of these same benefits so more of their profit goes to state and federal governments which fund schools, police and fire fighting programs among other things. Also, if you think that the profits that Ford and GM make stay in the US you are mistaken. It is much better for them to to take their profits to offshore banks than leave a cent here in the US.

On a side note it would be nice if moderators would crack down on trolling and flame bating. Some is funny but it has been getting out of hand recently.

#12 · (Edited)
Got an email saying I was quoted in your post but don't see myself quoted. Weird.

Just in case you are referencing my post: I'm a Tundra owner, on a Tundra forum. Do you really think I would make a statement like that and expect it to hold water? It was in direct response to AZblue's. No "flame baiting" or "trolling". Should be pretty easy to see what I was doing.

#15 ·
When asked what I drive, from now on I will reply. "An American made and built pickup, a 2014 Tundra" then I'll forward that link and walk away. lol

I knew the percentage from rumors here when I decided to buy the Tundra and it helped in my decision. A Japanese designed truck built in America by American workers with 75% American made parts. The decision was easy. Thanks for the link!

Reactions: schoolcb
#17 ·
this really wasn't much of a factor for me this time around, not much difference in either truck.

100% foreign owned, built here, with either 67 or 75 in parts.

#21 ·
ya, I am not entirely sure on the entire history of all the models

f-150 -f-650. I thought most of it was here now.

#24 ·
This topic always entertains me! It's a world economy. As someone already stated, every one of these yahhoo's throwing Toyota under the bus for being a foreign truck likely has more Chinese produced bs in their possession than anybody else. Additionally, they probably buy a crap load of their stuff from Walmart which completely rips off the American worker and tax system. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Yes off topic sorry

Reactions: schoolcb
#26 ·
Exactly! I hate wallyworld. I try to buy American where I have the choice. Irks me to no end that Amazon doesn't list country of manufacture on all their items.

#25 ·
Why does I matter were the money goes they still employ americans and pay tax.

It's a global economy so it's naive to think everything you buy should be built in the country you have.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#27 ·
My fourth Tundra and the wife drives a Sequioa. We love our Toyotas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.