Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2014 Trailer Brake Controller Spot?

43K views 43 replies 31 participants last post by  Four Strings 
#1 ·
So those of you lucky enough to get their hands on a 2014, is there a good spot to get in a trailer brake controller?

In my 2010 I had it in the little cubby beside the power outlet but think I read this was gone from the 2014.

Thanks

#2 ·
*BUMP*

Noone using their new Tunny for towing yet? Mine is slated to arrive mid-October.

I did talk to one person who said they used the Tekonsha POD because it does not have to be mounted level & the inserted in their center console storage box. I ordered one of these just in case I cannot mount my p3 somewhere out of the way. I HATE that there is no integrated controller.

*sigh* it's all about waiting. Truck mid-october. Ordered some nerf bars...back ordered. Ordered some rims...back ordered.

#3 ·
i have 3 seperate pop out tabs on the dash... not sure if you can fit it in one of those... if you have a platinum or 1794 i'm sure these tabs will have something in them though?

#4 ·
I thought the brake controller was integrated on the new trucks? Still no go?

#7 ·
This is clearly in the user manual of your truck.

You pull the panel off under the hood release latch on the drivers side. There is a connector that you use, seems pretty straight forward if you look at the diagram.

1) Remove drivers side scuff plate.
2) remove screw type clip holding cover.
3) Remove connector cover.

#8 ·
Same as 2010 there is the plug and play connector for aftermarket controller. Not a true integrated one.

In my 2010, there was a nice cubby to put the aftermarket controller in. Was just wondering where people were putting them in 14 as I heard cubby is gone, and I dont have my truck yet.

Ironically mounting the controller in my old tundra in 2010 is what brought me to TundraTalk. I am surprised as it seems that no one is towing real loads yet with a 14 tundra.

#9 ·
Brake controller

This is the main reason I found this site. I took my truck in to get the controller installed yesterday and they asked me were I wanted it. I started looking and could not figure out a good spot that does not look like it would be in the way. I want to see what everyone else is doing. I have the platinum version and there is not empty dash anyplace.

#15 ·
put mine just under the hood release. covers that small under dash bulb a bit. not to bad of spot all things considering. i also made a custom bracket for it to fit up nice and tight with the dash and out of the way. only issue i have so far with it there is its in the way when removing the kick panel.

#17 ·
i did not have to remove anything to get at the factory plug. it was taped to some wire and i could see it at the top of the drivers kick panel.

#28 · (Edited)
I installed a P2 in my '14 Tundra SR5 to the right of the steering column under the T C switch.

Sorry I didn't take any pic's while installing it. But it's an easy install, all I used was a 1/8" drill and a half round file.

First remove the panel it pulls straight out. Use a hook to start at the center of the panel next to the steering column. It helps to pop the lower panel a bit.

Next unplug the switch(s) and remove the panel Then using the drill on the back side of the panel you'll find a rectangular area below the switches , make a series of holes side by side around the rectangle against the raised flange then with the drill running lean it sideways connect the holes, remove the rectangle and use the file to enlarge the hole to fit the contour of the Prodigy P2. The secret is to sneak up on the final size.

Push the P2 in from the front of the panel until the holes in the side of the P2 are exposed behind the panel.

Use the P2 slip on mount and file down the release tabs until its clicks into the holes to retain the P2. Plug in the wire harness to the P2 before locking in the P2.

Here's the pic's of the final installation. Click on the first pic , there are three different views. For some reason its showing the same thumbnail 3 times below, trust me there are 3 different angles of the install.

Attachments

#29 ·
I installed a P2 in my '14 Tundra SR5 to the right of the steering column under the T C switch.

Sorry I didn't take any pic's while installing it. But it's an easy install, all I used was a 1/8" drill and a half round file.

First remove the panel it pulls straight out. Use a hook to start at the center of the panel next to the steering column. It helps to pop the lower panel a bit.

Next unplug the switch(s) and remove the panel Then using the drill on the back side of the panel you'll find a rectangular area below the switches , make a series of holes side by side around the rectangle against the raised flange then with the drill running lean it sideways connect the holes, remove the rectangle and use the file to enlarge the hole to fit the contour of the Prodigy P2. The secret is to sneak up on the final size.

Push the P2 in from the front of the panel until the holes in the side of the P2 are exposed behind the panel.

Use the P2 slip on mount and file down the release tabs until its clicks into the holes to retain the P2. Plug in the wire harness to the P2 before locking in the P2.

Here's the pic's of the final installation. Sorry about the orientation, dang phone.
That's about as clean is it gets. I was going to do something similar with the premade cutout they posted earlier in the thread. However, I think I might just drill it out as you did. Great idea!

#33 ·
I am looking at the Hopkins Flex Control. A bit pricey but the brain is mounted away under the dash. The controller is small enough to mount anywhere and there is a small digital display which is also remotely mounted where you can see it.

Has anyone have any expereience with this unit?

#34 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.